Sunday, December 05, 2004

Rose at nightfall

Today, I took this shot in the kitchen. This is the first time I shoot with the present of my parents and so it is quite interesting for all of us because they finally see what I do with all the equipments I paid for. And I have a chance to shoot with the familiar smell from mom's cooking and dad's quiet support.
My mom keeps going around and asks me :" ... show it to me, show it to me ... why don't you shoot it when it was fresh ... ". So I decided to dedicate this shot to her.
Noone should be asking why ... but in case you wonder. I am sure we are all guilty of creating interesting things for lovers (yours or others), clients and heroes... but have you created anything for your parents? Maybe you do and I envy you, may be you don't and hopefully it is not too late. Well I may have done something for them, but I can not remember photographing anything dedicating to them. And it is so coincident that my mom's name is Rose in Vietnamese (Ho^`ng). I think this rose is beautiful even when it is no longer fresh.
Almost everything about this photo is bad: bad Photoshop work to remove the background; bad setup that causing the reflection of light on the sterm to be much lighter than if it is a real black background, bad composition that leave the object very much in the center ignoring the rule of third... but who is gonna be so forgiving to a person's work than mom and dad. My mom looks at it as a real work of art, not because she has no taste but because it is HER SON's work. I am not dedicating this photo to her because it is a bad photo, I do that because it is HER SON's work and to me it is shooting around them that is fun.
Therefore, this is for her... and for this many words on 1 photo, I think I love my mom even though I may not know it and may not act like it.
All the sudden, I remember an ode to my mom that my brother wrote a few years back and never present it to her... well, this will be the second.